Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Soon-to-be-Innocent Fun/Let's See

I started watching the Arthur Russell documentary Wild Combination today and went out before I could finish it. When I got home, instead of going to where everyone else was I decided it would be best to make some of the leftover potato soup I have in my fridge because if I don't eat it all very quickly it will go bad and I really wanted some because it is excellent soup. So, while I was heating up the soup I listened to this song off of World of Echo that has the same title as the title of this entry and when I went to check on the soup (I needed to stir it and continue heating it four times) I created a melody based on what I thought the melody of this song was, even though it was not the right melody once I re-listened to it. The melody was meant to be sentimental, and so I wrote a little sentimental song based around it on a situation that seems so far removed to me but was so incredibly important to me at the time, as important to me as any relationship I've ever been in. I've been forgetting what it's like, to feel that pull to someone and for them to, seemingly, pull back. Like magnets. It's also partially an attempt at writing poetry, which I quit since I started writing songs because once I started writing songs writing poetry didn't really make any sense. Here is the thing, it is very sentimental:

Things We Talked About Before I Loved You for a Series of Months Before I Didn't Anymore
G-Em-G-Am-C-D

i met you on the
first
day
of
school
and i thought that you were so cool

we talked about
dog
day
afternoon
and then you came up to my room

we talked about
lindsay
and
er
son
and kitchen sink realism

i thought you'd make the
perfect
wife
some
day
if we were older and not eighteen

there was something in your
sun
ken
eyes
that made me realize

the meaning of
true
aff
ec
tion
where there had been none

i thought about you
all
of
the
time
and i never knew why

our first kiss was
to
can
dy
says
and i loved you,
i swear i did

No comments:

 

Free Blog Counter